Saturday, May 12, 2012

I once had a blog

"I once had a blog that I blogged in.
T'was about my family to be.
I once had a blog that I blogged in.
I wrote and it set me free.
I once had a blog that I blogged in.
I would carefully update about thee.
I once had a blog that I blogged in.
About two kids who do not know me.
I once had a blog that I blogged in.
Two little boys distracted me!"

So to say it's been a while would be an understatement. Here's some updates written with the hope that future posts will be a bit more frequent and regular.

Lindsey & I finished everything this side of Africa a week prior to Christmas 2011! At this point we are 1,000 debt free not counting the remaining forthcoming adoption fee & travel cost. However, we are in very good shape in regards to the final $13,000 -  $17,000. We were awarded a grant of $6,000 & we have another that allows gifts from family/friends to be a charitable donation (more information about that grant will be coming soon).

Christmas meant the end of one chapter and the beginning of another. All in all it's just been a bunch of waiting with little to know information. On average it is taking 6-9 months to receive a referral. And that's after the 6-8 months it took us to get to where we're at now. We're now 5 months into the 6-9 month range. Think that's a long time? There's more. After referral the average wait for travel/adoption is 10-12 months. That means we'll know our children for close to a year before we ever meet them and bring them home. That means it could still be another 11-17 months before it ever happens for us.

You might be shocked by the length at which it is taking us to bring our angels home. Trust me, it ain't too fun for us either. Yet, I can't say we're sitting here with our thumbs up our butts (nice mental image huh? haha). We've got two angels with us now.

And many of you know our situation with them. And some of you also know I've gotten into a bit of trouble for posting about these guys on Facebook. As a result I will forgo major details and just give ya the basics. We've had N his whole life - he is now 15 months. We've had his lil bro M his whole life - he is now 4 months. They're not even 11 months apart! At this point they're 'goal' is return home. However, there is no end in sight. They see bio mom only 5 hrs a week (only 4 hrs w/ N). We did the math and at best bio Mom has spent the equivalent of 11 days total with her 15 month old son. How sad. Bio dad is currently in prison. Approximate release date is September. But, we just learned of a law that would either keep him in prison for an additional 2 yrs. or 4 yrs. probation but would not be allowed any contact with N & M. Either way means the boys could be with us another 2-4 yrs! Il is a jacked up state cause from what we've gathered if we lived in Iowa bio rights would have been terminated 4 months ago. Here in good old IL a termination will probably not be initiated until 2 yrs (that's next Feb.).

Raising N & M is a true blessing & honor. They are so easy to love! We don't get lost in thinking about these unknowns that surround their little lives cause then we miss out on their awesomeness. We believe everything happens for a reason & if they get to stay with us forever we will be forever blessed.

All this has led me to think of a number of favorite scriptures -

"With the Lord a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years are like a day."

Ecclesiastes "Turn, turn, turn" passage

"I waited patiently for the Lord, he inclined & heard my cry."

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

There are many more.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Blessings.










1 comment:

  1. Waiting is hard. We read about so many stories in the bible where people had to wait and we hope we don't have to be like them. But there are good things about the journey too--God is at work! I continue to pray for the 4 of you as well as the 2 other "angels" in Africa. Thankful to be a part of your journey. God bless!

    ReplyDelete